Auto Attendants can automatically route calls to different users, queue or even other Auto Attendants. This can include handling calls differently outside of office hours or playing a menu for callers to select options from.
You will need to first create a Resource Account for the Auto Attendant. You must also have either Business Voice or Enterprise Voice services assigned before you can create an Auto Attendant.
Create an Auto Attendant
You can create Auto Attendants in the Teams Admin Center.
- Log into your Teams Admin Center at https://admin.teams.microsoft.com
- Go to ‘Voice > Auto Attendants’
- Select Add
- Specify the initial settings for your Auto Attendant:
- Operator (optional) – Who calls should route to if the caller requests another person
- Time zone – The regional time zone used for determining business hours
- Language – The language used when reading prompts and greetings within the Auto Attendant.
- Enable Voice Inputs – Allows the Auto Attendant to use the caller’s voice as input alongside the dialling keys.
- Select the Business Hours call flow for the Auto Attendant:
- First Play a Greeting Message – An audio file or system read message played before routing the call.
- Then Route the Call – Determines how the call can be routed once the greeting is played:
- Disconnect- Disconnects the call once the greeting is played.
- Redirect Call – Immediately routes the call to a User, Voice App (Call Queue or another Auto Attendant) or Voicemail (Select an Office 365 Group).
- Play Menu Options – Plays another greeting, followed by allowing a caller to select from options to route their call (See Creating a Menu)
- Press Next
- Set the Hours for your ‘Business Hours’
- Set how calls are routed outside of your Business Hours
- First Play a Greeting Message – Allows an audio file or system read message to play before routing the call
- Then Route the Call – Sets how the call is handled after the greeting is played. The call can be disconnected, routed to a user, voice app or voicemail or a menu can be played (See Creating a Menu)
- (Optional) Set up a Holiday Period for when calls are routed differently to normal and configure how they are routed during this time.
- Press Next
- (Optional) Set the Dial Scope for when the Dial by Name or Dial by Extension feature is enabled. Only users within the scope can be routed to this way.
- Press Next
- Press Add Account
- Select the Resource Account to link to the Auto Attendant
- Press Submit
Creating a Menu
When setting up your Call Flow options, you can choose to create a menu for callers to choose options from.
Create a Menu Option
You can create up to 10 options on a single menu, represented by the dial keys 0-9. If you need more options, you can have an option route to another auto attendant to provide a secondary menu.
- Press Assign a Dial Key
- Select the Dial Key (0-9) to map to the new option
- Enter a Voice Command for this option (requires Voice Inputs to be enabled for the Auto Attendant)
- This allows a caller to speak the name of the option instead of using the dial key
- Select the type of object the option will route to (Redirect to):
- Person in my Organisation – Allows the call to be routed to a specific user
- Voice App – Allows the call to be routed to a call queue or auto attendant’s Resource Account
- Voice Mail – Plays a voicemail service which is sent to an Office 365 Group
- Select the object to route the call to (Destination)
Directory Search allows for callers to speak the name or extension of the person they want to speak to and be connected automatically to them. This requires Voice Inputs to be enabled for the Auto Attendant.
The users that this service can be connected to are defined in the Auto Attendant’s Dial Scope. By default, this is set to none.
Dial by Name – Allows a caller to state the name of the user to be connected to.
Dial by Extension – Allows a caller to state the extension of the user to be connected to. The extension for a user is defined in Azure Active Directory, as either the HomePhone, MobilePhone, PhoneNumber or OtherTelephone attributes in the format +<phonenumber>;ext=<extension> or x<extension>.